Thursday, May 14, 2015

Day 5 – 7 Dirty Thirties – Report

             Ok, so today was, for lack of a better word, spectacular.

            I woke up this morning and felt stiff and sore, just like every day so far and as I got ready, I wondered if today was going to be the hardest day. I kind of expected it to be but I drove those thoughts out, got my stuff together and headed out the door.

The Loop 1 crew!! I can't thank you guys enough!

            First of all, I had an awesome crew, AGAIN. My friend, Lou was there the whole day and he ran the last couple loops with me. Another friend and runner that I coach, Dennis, showed up sometime during my second loop and crewed for me the rest of the day. I had a crowd with me during my first loop: Racelab teammates, Ryan, Danielle, and Tyson, as well as local ultra-running legend, Jamil Coury (JamilCoury.com). My friend, Justin, who I hadn’t seen in years, joined me for loop 2. The company really makes a difference because it keeps my mind off of my legs and distracted with conversations and laughs, so thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey so far! 

            I was really lucky with the weather today. It was overcast for most of the day and the breeze was strong enough to feel great, but not so strong that it made running a struggle. The venue today was also incredible. Cave Creek Regional Park offers all kinds of different trails and the two I stuck to today had some nice little climbs and lots of fun, runnable sections. One of those trails, which I did three times, crossed over the actual “Cave Creek” a little over 2 miles in, which offered a fantastic place to cool off.

THE Cave Creek

            I can comfortably say that I felt amazing all day today. I never had issues running, my legs didn’t really hurt, and my breathing stayed under control. I felt so fresh and strong that it was comparable to the very first day of this challenge. I honestly did not expect that today so I was thrilled, pleased, elated, satisfied, and delighted about it.

            I’m doing my best not to expect tomorrow to be the same as today. In this challenge, one day could be awesome and the next could be a disaster so I need to make sure I wake up tomorrow, ready to take whatever the day dishes out and do my best to get the most out of it. What I can say, however, is that my mentality is positive, healthy and optimistic. It looks like I will, again, be graced with an awesome crew (which is crucial), AND the weather seems to promise to be great again.


            So with that I end my 5th day and go to sleep, excited to say that I only have 2 days and 60 miles to go. Thank you for reading this and keeping up with me. Your support has gone so far in getting me through this week and I know that when I finish on Saturday, I will owe a major portion of my success to you. Good night!  

Lou and I, 1 mile from the finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment