Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Day 4 – 7 Dirty Thirties – Report

             120 miles in 4 days. I really can’t begin to describe what it feels like to say that that is how much I have run this week, so far. It’s not something that I could have imagined possible 6 months ago, but here I am, getting ready to go to bed and wake up to do it again tomorrow. Officially, I am over the halfway point and have fewer miles ahead of me, than I have behind me.

Manny, at about the 15 mile mark today. Thanks for 
sticking with me for most of the day!

            Today was a good day. Although I am definitely tired and my feet are starting to hurt more, I was mentally fresh and in very good spirits today. The great thing about today was that, for the first time, I had company all day. I had two friends (Kelly and Manny) run with my for the first loop, and then Manny stayed with me for 3 more loops (24 total miles), and for the final loop I was joined by my brother-in-law, Erik, on his bike.

Erik, Manny, and my mom before the final loop!

            Again, like yesterday, I didn’t know what to expect today. I got up and got ready, as if on autopilot and before I knew it, I was in the car and then parked and then getting ready. The truth is that, although today was the slowest day so far, it felt like it went by the quickest.

            There’s no need to break today’s report down into individual loops because I can say that the whole day was similar in how I felt: stiff and sore, but still able to get a solid amount of running miles in. Again, I am floored with the amazing support I have been getting from friends and family and I look forward to the next three days. Tomorrow, I will be at Cave Creek Regional Park and will have company for a few of the loops, as well as a couple of friends crewing the entire day. I could never thank everyone involved enough!


            Overall, what I can say about this experience so far, is that it has been incredible to feel the overwhelming support and I am amazed at the things my body is achieving. I hadn’t expected much, but every day I am pleasantly surprised by the lack of debilitating pain and the ability to keep moving forward, sometimes at a decent pace! Tomorrow may very well be the most difficult day of the week, but at least I will have support and I know that I can get this done.

            “Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use.” – Earl Nightingale



No comments:

Post a Comment