Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I’m Back! Sorry About The Break…

             It has been a pretty long while since I’ve posted anything and for that, I need to apologize to anyone who might read this blog. I went back to school to finish my degree in Exercise Science and between that, coaching for Racelab and getting all my running in, I haven’t had much of a moment to sit down and write. But since life is all about finding a balance, I have carved out some time to update you, my tiny audience, about my training and my journey.

            The training for the 7 Dirty Thirties is going really well. I am getting all my long runs in, recovering well, and feeling stronger and stronger every week. Currently, I am averaging between 60 and 70 miles a week, with easy weeks at around 40-50 miles. This will continue growing over the next few months, and I am very excited to see what I am capable of.


            I recently participated in the Sedona Half Marathon with Katlyn and had a great time. This is the second consecutive year that we run that race and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. The organization is great, it starts on time, there’s a lot of aid stations, the scenery is beautiful, and it doesn’t come without a challenge. Sedona is a hilly area so the entire course is ups and downs from start to finish. The last half-mile or so is all uphill so it’s especially hard to finish at a strong sprint, but it’s an amazing race. We were expecting rain during the race, but the gods smiled down on us and it was sunny with some clouds for the entire race. And, of course, we topped off the trip to Sedona by visiting the Oak Creek Brewery and Grill: delicious food, and really wonderful locally brewed beer.

            Coming up in a couple of weeks is the Lost Dutchman Marathon, which I am also doing. This race in Apache Junction has been around for a long time and is a local favorite. Although I’ve been to the event a number of times, this will be my first time participating. Additionally, it will only be my second road marathon ever (my first was the Mt Lemmon Marathon in 2012) so I’m excited and curious to see how I do. Although it’s just a training race and I won’t be pushing it the way I would if it was my goal race, I’m excited to see what kind of time I can put up in the midst of all this training I’ve been doing.

            I am also super excited to announce my second sponsor. I’ve had a long-time relationship with the local Road Runner Sports running stores in Scottsdale and Tempe. They are supporting my journey to the 7 Dirty Thirties and I am incredibly grateful for it. I’ll be writing up a thorough review of my local stores and how awesome they are so be on the lookout for that post in the near future. Let’s just say my feet are well taken care of!

            A while back, I spent a weekend in Heber, Arizona and got a pretty awesome, albeit short, run in, in the snow! I ran with Katlyn and my friend Max and some other Racelabbers and took some footage of our winter wonderland adventure so I fully intend on editing that up and putting out an awesome video… Soon. I hope you’ll stay tuned for that as well!


            Like I said, finding a balance in life is very important, especially with lofty endurance goals like mine. Between school, work, training, and some semblance of a social life, I have my work cut out for me but as I get settled into a routine, I am able to fine more time to spend on this blog. Hopefully you will see more updates, a few videos, and more exciting announcements so stay with me, stay interested and stay groovy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment