Monday, February 16, 2015

Race Report - The Lost Dutchman Marathon

            I woke up even earlier than my typical 5:00 AM rising time on Sunday, February 15th, to get dressed and ready for the 14th Annual Lost Dutchman Marathon. While washing my eyes out and getting my brain going, I felt a little strange. Here I was, on the morning of a full, 26.2 mile marathon and I didn’t feel the pre-race jitters typical of race day. I didn’t have any gear laid out or prepared, except for the race number that I attached to my race belt the night before. I got dressed the same way I get dressed for a long run and I decided, last minute, to bring along a hand-held bottle. I stuffed some Honey Stinger Energy Chews into my belt, threw on my Road Runner Sports hat and headed out the door.


            It felt strange because I had always seen 26.2 as a distance that needed to be well prepared for. Obviously it still is, but for this particular race, the reason for my participation was different. This was a training race, a catered long run if you will, and I wasn’t looking to push it very hard. My physical condition was primed for the distance, but my mental approach to the race was not PR seeking, or limit pushing. It was merely to get the distance in and enjoy the event. This difference in mental approach takes any of the pressure that people often put on themselves before a race, and removes it completely. The focus was no longer, “how well am I going to do”, but rather more of a, “this is going to be fun!” mentality. Needless to say, I was calm, but excited; relaxed, but ready.

            The Lost Dutchman Marathon is a beautiful, well-organized event that has been going on in Apache Junction, Arizona for 14 years. Besides the full and half distances, the event also includes a 10K and an 8K trail run. It takes place at the foothills of the Superstition Mountains on the far east side of the Valley of the Sun and is an incredibly scenic race. For the full, the course is point-to-point, meaning you start in one place, and finish in another. Because of this, we had to get on some school buses and get shuttled to the start line. The drive to the start line was charmingly bumpy and got slightly less tolerable when an alarm started going off in the bus that could not be reset or shut off for the last 5 or so miles of the trip.

            When we arrived at the start line, a trailhead at the base of the Superstitions, there were rows of little campfires, surrounded by groups of runners, staying warm and enjoying the moments of calm before the race start. I used the bathroom, ate some food, drank some water and before I knew it, we were lined up and we were off!

            The first 6 miles of the course ran along a dirt road and included some flat sections and some rolling hills. I was running with a teammate and before I knew it, we were off the dirt and onto the road. The miles were flying by at a comfortable 8:30/mile average pace and I felt great! I ran this race like a long run so my hydration and nutrition was on point and was really just another practice round, like what I do every weekend.

            The course continued on through Apache Junction, occasionally going into some residential areas. Throughout the course, however, the beautiful Superstition Mountains watched over the course and provided a constant dose of awe-inspiring scenery. The half-marathon point came and went and before I knew it, I was on the back half of the race, still feeling fresh and comfortable.

            At mile 16, the course started to take its toll on the runners around me. People started walking and dropping back and you could see the mileage in their faces. Witnessing that always makes me appreciate the importance of having a solid nutrition and hydration plan for, not just races, but training runs as well. It amazes me that despite pushing their bodies to the kinds of limits reached during a marathon, people forget to fuel properly. There were a few people that I wanted to just tell, “eat more at the next aid station” or “get some electrolytes when you can”, knowing what they were going through, but most people don’t want to hear advice, especially when they aren’t feeling well, so I kept my mouth shut. Eventually, people figure out that the “wall” can be avoided, but during a race, I’ll avoid bothering people with information on how to not feel the way they are already feeling. Needless to say, me and my teammate were chugging along happily, eating and drinking and feeling fresh. 

            Mile 20 came around and I decided it was time to turn it up a little. I had been staying in my Long Zone (Heart Rate Zone 2 to some), for the whole race but with 10K to go, I decided to let myself creep up into Base (or Zone 3). This was a training run so I didn’t want to push any harder than that, but even at that heart rate, I felt fast.

            The last 6 miles flew by even faster. With an average of 7:30-8 minute miles, the distance melted away. I smiled each time my Garmin beeped and showed me my split times. With the final push, I crossed the finish line in 3 hours, 41 minutes, and 14 seconds. Oddly, my chip time matched my Garmin’s time to the exact second. This may or may not be the first time in modern history that this has occurred to anyone. Ever.

            This race was a huge validator for me. I know that my training has been hard and that I’ve been putting a lot of mileage in. I also know that my speed has been improving and that I am getting stronger. But seeing it when you are out doing your own thing is not as tangible as when you see a race result. This race showed me that I am improving and it felt great. The most remarkable thing about it, and what may have been even more validating than the good finish time, is how I felt after the race, for the rest of the day, and how I feel now (the next day). I have been more beat up and sore after a 16-mile run than I feel right now. I am walking with no problems and even rode my bike to school. I feel great and ready to keep training and that just shows me that I am adapting to my training and recovering very well.


            This was an important step in my training for the 7 Dirty Thirties. It has showed me that my training is working and that I am improving, but is was also just a fun experience. The race was great, the course was beautiful, my fellow runners were friendly, the volunteers rocked and I just had a wonderful time. I am very curious to see what kind of time I could put up in a marathon that I actually race in, but for now, let the training continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment