Sunday, May 10, 2015

Day 1 – 7 Dirty Thirties – Report

            Day 1 is complete. This morning I woke up and ran the first of 7 consecutive 30 milers. I did it in three 10-mile out-and-backs and I took a 6-minute break between the first and second section and a 25-minute break between the second and third section. Including those breaks, it took me 6 hours, 49 minutes and 8 seconds.

            I knew today was going to feel good and it did. From the get-go, I felt fresh and strong and even though I had a few moments when my heart rate got a little high, I was able to keep it mostly under control. I hydrated really well, drinking almost a full two liters during each 10-mile section. I also ate reasonably well, but definitely concentrated most of my nutrition intake into the breaks between loops. 

            This first loop went by quick and it was mostly a shakeout, warm-up loop. I went out and back on the Desert Classic Trail in South Mountain Park and when I got back to the trailhead, I had a quick snack, some soda, refilled my Nathans Hydration Pack and was off, heading up National Trail with my friend Nathan.

            The second loop was on National Trail and was considerably more difficult. With a lot more ascending involved, the pace was definitely a slower. During this loop, I only had one of those squeeze-y applesauce packets so when we got done I was definitely feeling a bit hungry. But I drank the entire two liters in my hydration pack and had a bunch of Salt-Sticks so my electrolytes were good. It was during this loop when I realized just how salty and sweaty I was, so I definitely focused on taking enough electrolytes and making sure I was well hydrated. I was, after all, running with the intention of doing it all again tomorrow.

            The third loop was on Desert Classic again so the trail was easier but at this point I was feeling tired. The miles went by slowly and my heart rate didn’t want to drop so I hiked more than I did the first time I ran it but I chipped away at it and eventually, with only a mile to go, I let go and finished strong.

            My support crew was awesome today. I had my parents and Katlyn, my girlfriend, there, helping with my “aid station” (filling my camelback, getting me food/drink, encouraging me). My friend Nathan ran the second loop with me, which helped distract me from the longer time spent out there. And then, at the end of the second loop, my friend Curtis (or Koortis Juan) and my sister, brother-in-law and 1-week old nephew showed up to cheer me on. It was a HUGE help knowing that I had people waiting for me at the end of each loop. And major kudos and brownie-points and thank you’s to Katlyn for having my beloved Ultragen recovery drink (cappuccino flavored, obviously) ready for me as soon as I got done!  

            All in all, today was great. I felt good and continue to feel good now, a few hours after having finished. I took my ice bath, threw on my compression tights and will be resting and stretching throughout the rest of the day. The real challenge will begin tomorrow with the second day of this journey, not to mention the third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh day... But I’m excited to see how my body reacts and adapts as the week goes by. I know I will have some really dark moments, especially in the mornings, when I have to wake up, get ready and go do it again, but that’s what this challenge is all about: trying to reach my limits and then running over them (both figuratively and literally).


            Thanks again to everyone who is supporting me and following me on this journey! Tomorrow I’ll be at San Tan Regional Park and I am pretty excited! 1 down, 6 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment