Monday, July 11, 2011

Runner's High

I know it’s been a long time since I paid any attention to Climb Run Wander. Needless to say, my life has taken more and more turns and it seems like the last three years have been spent searching, frantically for my passions and for my callings. But, alas, I have returned and I hope to stay this time.

Yesterday, I went for a run and so when I decided to start this come-back, it seemed appropriate to do so with a few words on part of the title of this humble blog. Running is a sport that, although it has a huge following, with races that more than 20,000 sign up for, is vastly under-appreciated in this day and age. So I’d like to begin with that.

I wake up yesterday, at 4:15am. The sun is barely starting to approach the horizon and the light glow of dawn lights my room as I put on my racelab triathlon shorts and triathlon top. After fiddling with my contact lenses, eating a quick bowl of cereal, and preparing my water, I drive to the Reach 11 trail area in North Phoenix with the radio off, just enjoying the quiet, Sunday morning.

At the trailhead, I strap on my water pack, say hello to my racelab teammates and after a quick stretch, I’m off. I warm up within the first half mile or so, but it still takes about 2 miles to get my breathing right. I feel short of breath, but after that second mile, I fall into a rhythm and that is when the magic begins. My turn over is light, quick, and efficient. My upper body is relaxed, my arms swinging gently and my shoulders free of tension. I look around and watch the trees and bushes drift past. I hear rabbits and birds rustling in the foliage. The sounds of the street, of people, are gone. The sun is hidden behind the McDowell Mountains, but its light rays manage to tinge the clouds a light, red color. The mountain sides, still sheltered in dusk, are dark blue. All is well. All is peaceful.

As the miles begin to really go by, I look ahead. I feel like I’m flying, gliding over the ground with ease. No effort, no pain, almost no thoughts. I release any tensions from the week before and I lose myself in the steady rhythm of my feet. Before I know it, I reach my 10th mile and the parking lot comes back into view. I slow down, and the run is over. Endorphins quickly flood my system and I immediately feel elation and thrill, feelings that only exist on mornings like this, after a perfect run.

No comments:

Post a Comment